Sprawling across an extra wide frontage on the beautiful shores of Georgian Bay, a large rustic walkout was built as a retirement residence and family retreat. The landscape needed to match the style and scale of the home, while providing a variety of multi-functional spaces both intimate and communal. The client dreams came true as a once barren, rocky shoreline was transformed into terraced flagstone congregating spaces, cozy lounging nooks, pristine gardens, and comfortable transitions to and from the astonishing beachfront.
Natural materials were used throughout including locally sourced dark jumbo flagstone, rough sawn fir, granite retention and accent boulders and a vast array of perennials, grasses, shrubs and trees. The result is a landscape beautifully suited to the home and natural surroundings.
- Permeable paver and flagstone combination driveway to control run-off
- Gravel boat launch access route, 2 jumbo flagstone boatramps traversing the boulder shoreline erosion protection, and hidden geo-grid lawn area for future boat launching
- Large flagstone gathering spaces with amphitheater style steps & seating, granite boulder retention and accent seating boulders
- Rough sawn fir pergola custom designed to support and fit the clients hammock
- Covered hot-tub area with sunken, nestled tub and character seating boulders
- Outdoor sand footwash station and shower area
- Electronic ignition, 400,000 BTU fire feature built flush into flagstone patio
- Comprehensive, fully programmable and self-adjusting irrigation and lighting
- Grade retention on a steeply sloping site
- Conservation setbacks, permitting and coordination
- Boat, sea-doo, and recreational equipment access to beach
- Privacy screening, and large planting to soften building scale
- Hardy planting selections for harsh Georgian Bay climate
Want to receive an email when we have a new project and other news?